- The Academy offers school grief groups for school-aged students, providing grieving students the opportunity to connect with their peers as they learn and grow through their grief together at school.
- The six-week curriculum aims to help children understand and normalize their own grief experiences, while also providing tools for coping.
For the 2021 spring semester, the Academy is providing
virtual and in-person school grief groups to the following schools:
Urbandale High School
Parkview Middle School
Johnston Middle School
If you know of a child that could benefit from a school grief group,
please contact their school counselor for more information.
- The Academy is available to respond to crisis situations when a death occurs in the school community.
- The Academy provides and facilitates grief support as well as debriefing services in a group setting to students and staff alike.
- This service is offered free of charge to any school (pre K-12) in the community.
- The Academy offers training to school faculty and staff for any grade level.
- Training will equip school staff to help grieving children, proving education centered on developmental considerations and practical suggestions for supporting children in grief.
- Professional Training is based on a sliding fee scale.
- The Academy is pleased to offer a variety of printable resources pertaining to children and grief, as well as grief support in schools.
Additional Resources for Schools:
American for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
The Dougy Center
National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement
School Crisis Recovery and Renewal